maanantai 29. lokakuuta 2012

Just another manic Monday...


Headline is explainable by the the Bangles.

I feel surprisingly much pressure to write this blog. As the communications secretary for JAMKO, I constantly struggle with how to communicate in the most effective, clear and interesting manner, not only to students but also to the outside world. I would love there to be a magic wand type of a solution to this: you-say-this-and-that-on-facebook-at-this-time-and-it-will-reach-all-sudents. But it is not always that easy. Therefore, I would be interested in hearing from you guys, how you think we should communicate with you; when and where would our messages reach you the best. You can add comments below, send me email or reach me via facebook. I would love to hear from you!

I am JAMKO’s second North Karelia quarterback – or reinforcement, however you wish – and if you come to visit JAMKO’s office and you hear giggles and weird sounding dialect, then that would me and our tutor- and sports secretary Minna. We come from almost the same area in Eastern Finland so we seem to occasionally think in sync.

I have been working as the Communications and Trusteeship secretary since the beginning of September and I ended up in Jyväskylä via the route: North Carelia-Canada-Ethiopia-United States-Wales-Bosnia&Herzegovina. I went to school in Canada, the USA and the UK, and I taught in primary and high school in Ethiopia and Bosnia. This is how I spent 7,5 years. But due to this, I notice myself comparing my experiences in these countries to the Finnish education system. Not a day goes by when I don’t ponder how issues related to education systems and students’ unions vary between countries and how they are organized and done differently. So I thought that this week in this blog, I would open up some discussion on some of these comparisons. I am considering writing about education and fees, education systems in general and representatives elections as topics. But no worries, I am not going to turn this page into a long academic article, I will just jot down a few thoughts that reoccur most often in my mind.

But for now, let’s relax a bit. I started this week with two unusual days out-of-office in Helsinki. I came to Helsinki yesterday to check out the Helsinki Book Fair where JAMK (Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences) was also present with other higher education institutions representing their academic research. However, my search was a massive failure as I couldn’t find JAMK in the fair! The convention centre was HUGE and I spent a good three hours there, but just could not locate JAMK. I know, I am ashamed.

But they had been there. I think this is good because I know how frustrated students can become with their research and that’s why it is good to see how far their research can actually get. They really can be useful, not only in the academic world, but also out there in the real world (this division is purposeful because these can sometimes seem like two different universes. Trust me, as someone who got her thesis published, I know). So, those of you there who are currently writing your research: hang in there!

Now that the municipality elections are over, JAMKO’s representatives elections started today. I would advise you all to join the elections facebook event because you get to ask questions from the candidates there. My second advise is: vote! Voting link has been sent to all JAMKO’s members this morning so please cast your vote as the candidates will be deciding on issues related to students next year. Voting booths will also be on every campus this week, you can check the schedule here.

This week in Helsinki, I will attend Finnish United World Committee meeting. This committee is funded by the Finnish Cultural Foundation and sends 12 students abroad every year to study the International baccalaureate diploma. In the meanwhile: have a great Monday!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti