maanantai 5. marraskuuta 2012

Food experiments and elections: an unholy alliance?


This blog should have been published last week but due to various external complications (this is code speak for “I was too lazy”) I am stealing one day from the next blogger to spread my last words of wisdom for this fall in this blog. So here it goes….

Beef bourguignon
As I told you in my last blog, we finally got the recipe booklet ready on Friday. In inspiration of that, I spent the weekend cooking for an entire army. Or more accurately, just for four people. But when I get into a kitchen something happens to me. It is like a housewife monster takes control over me and I become a new age Sikke Sumari. So I cook and I cook and I can’t stop. This weekend I made beef bourguignon (a 5 liter pot of it…yeah I am not even kidding), ratatouille (a 3 liter pot), French cheeses, and a chocolate cake big enough for at least 12 people. Two former JAMKO chairmen of the board and one JAMKO alumnus had a taste and it seemed to go down well. None of them have reported any food related illnesses so far so at least my Red Nose day inspired cooking hasn’t killed anyone.

Ratatouille
But food is important for this week because we will need loads and loads of energy to get through the week. So much is going on that the board members and staff have difficulty keeping track of what needs to happen next. But at the same time it is also an exciting week because we will see the new Representatives elected. We elect 25 five members and 25 vice members. After the Representatives have been elected, the people wishing to act on the Board come forward. They will then be elected by the Representatives.

Now what I would like to do is to question this model a little. There’s always talk about cutting the number of representatives down a bit hence questioning the benefit of having 50 people elected. Is it too big for an organization this size? Hard to say. But is seems to me that people’s only suggestion is to cut down the number of representatives without actually thinking about the consequences and what would be a better model. This dual model we use in JAMKO is commonly used and works fairly well. But here’s another model which I have seen done.

My former university in the UK has 26 000 students and they are all automatically members of the Students’ Union. Now, they elect both the Representatives and the Board by a direct vote. So basically, the entire student body of 26 000 students can vote who will become the Chairman of the Board, the Vice Chairman etc. What this means is that people wishing to act on the Board have to do an actual campus wide election campaign. They effectively have their own campaign team, go from campus to campus talking to students, visit classes to state their election promises, hand out fliers, give interviews, compete against their runners in open panels etc. Sounds like much work? It is. But would this be a better model for the representatives elections? I say no because it would be more costly to the students themselves. At the moment, JAMKO makes it fair and equal for all candidates.

So my food for thought for this coming week: eat well and stay tuned for the representatives elections.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti